Pages

Monday, 8 November 2010

Caffeine Overdose

Just saw this story a couple of days ago... Apparently the guy ordered these bags of caffeine, not knowing how powerful it is undiluted, then swallowed a few spoon fulls.


This led to throwing up blood and dying, pretty gruesome..



Caffeine lovers beware: it may help you wake up in the morning, but the stimulant can also kill you.

It proved fatal for 23-year-old Michael Bedford, a British man who died in April after ingesting "spoonfuls" of a caffeine powder equivalent to roughly 70 cans of Red Bull.

Bedford swallowed two spoonfuls of the substance at a party with friends, according to reports in the British media, even though the powder he bought came with a warning to consume only one-sixteenth of a teaspoon.

He quickly got sick, threw up, began slurring his words, and collapsed.

"He was puking up blood and he was sweating really bad," a friend, 17, told the Nottingham Evening Post.

Though he was rushed by ambulance to a local hospital, Bedford died shortly after swallowing the powder.

His death was ruled accidental in an inquest last week, but his family places the blame on the caffeine powder’s easy availability.

Bedford bought the powder online for just over five dollars, or 3.29 British pounds.

"It makes me feel sick [that these products can be bought so easily]," his grandmother Glenis Noble told the Post. "I feel like it should be banned."

"I think there should be a warning on it saying it can kill," added his aunt Sue Burton.

"This should serve as a warning that caffeine is so freely available on the Internet but so lethal if the wrong dosage is taken," Coroner Dr. Nigel Chapman said at the inquest.

It’s just the latest report tying caffeine to serious health problems.

Last month, roughly 50 students at Central Washington University were hospitalized after drinking Four Loko, a beverage nicknamed "blackout in a can" that mixes a high percentage of alcohol with caffeine.

One can costs around $2.50, and is equivalent to consuming five to six beers and several shots of espresso at once.


Sorry about not updating yesterday guys, will make sure to do another one later on.

-Kimokik

27 comments:

Apps Master said...

Great news bro, was waiting for a news yesterday !
Thanks for update ;p

Han said...

If the British government didn't keep making highs illegal with no evidence to support it (MCat, anyone?), people wouldn't do stupid shit like this.

Nostalgist said...

i wonder why he was even taking this shit.. anyway remind me of getting another coffee now :P

Galwarrior said...

Sweet Post!

daniel09 said...

Damn that's crazy he died. My sister and her friend overdosed on caffeine pills many years ago and her friend came pretty close to dying. She had twice her regular heart beat. My sister was just puking like none stop for a bit.

Zoy said...

Reminds us to be careful when we consume food or beverages that we do not consider harmful. Thanks for the warning.

hippilazma said...

wow this looks dangerous

Monster Madness said...

Crazy story man :/

Paul said...

yeah blame the company for him not reading and following the directions. More then likely the company will be in deep shit because a moron wanted his fix

Shutterbugz said...

damn that is an intense drink, I would probably die if I drank it cause I have a heart condition

dee jey said...

fallowing

HondaX said...

interesting post man....

CrispyPeanutButter said...

One would think that swallowing that would be idiotic...

scorpion taco said...

Darwinism at its finest. if he was stupid enough to actually think that 2 spoons of pure caffeine was a good idea then he really doesn't need to further pollute the human gene pool.

Czikita said...

GOGOGOGO

Kris159 said...

It's weird that you can overdose on stuff that might not look harmful at all...

Fuuuuuuuu said...

I'd never ingest that much caffeine!

Cunning Linguist said...

good stuff here man

About Insurance said...

thanks for sharing!

RoodNverse said...

i always drink four lokos , like 2 every other night lol

amidoinitrite? said...

cool, can't wait for an update

Swift Love said...

pretty awesome

MacPCharmony said...

nice, that gives me something to think about

The Drug Connoisseur said...

Damn thats serious stuff!

BökChöd said...

Hahha... WOW... this is horrible. OD'ing on caffeine powder? So odd.

Tresni said...

wow....

Czikita said...

dont overdose this crack

Post a Comment